Before I jump into today’s post, I just want to encourage continued prayers for those affected by the tragedy in Boston. Such a senseless, horrific act. Stay strong, Boston. We are thinking of you!
When I jumped into the world of blogging, I was blissfully ignorant (and still am, to a degree). I know nothing about search engine optimization. As you can see, I still have no ads on my site (still figuring out what I want to do about that). As far as social media, I’m okay at Facebook and Pinterest, but I kind of suck at Twitter. I’m sure I’m doing a million things wrong. But somehow, people still manage to find this little blog – and they even subscribe to it. When I look at the stats and see how many visits I’ve had from so many different countries, it blows my mind. The internet is a crazy thing, isn’t it?
Not only are people subscribing and reading, but two fellow bloggers have passed along the Liebster Award to 86 Lemons. The first time this happened (thanks to Nicole at Fitful Focus), I dropped the ball and broke the chain by not posting about it. This time, I’m holding up my end of the deal. Thank you to Sarah at Fried Dandelions for the second nomination. Sarah does a beautiful job with her blog. She shares really great vegan recipes, along with yummy food shots and an occasional photo of her super cute son, David.
So, what is a Liebster Award? It is believed to have originated in Germany. Liebster is a German word meaning favorite, sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome. Awwww. The award is passed along to up and coming blogs that have less than 200 followers. Although, I found other sources that said less than 3,000 followers. Currently, 86 Lemons has a total number of followers that is somewhere between 200 and 3,000. I still consider it to be a new blog, so I’m accepting the award and passing it along. It’s a great way to bring exposure to new blogs, create new connections and recognize fellow bloggers who rock.
In researching this award, I found a number of different sets of rules. Some say to post 11 random facts about yourself and others make no mention of posting random facts. Some say to nominate 11 blogs and other say 3 to 5 blogs. Basically, what I’ve done is chosen the set of rules I like best:
- Share. Post 5 random facts about yourself.
- Answer. Respond to the 5 questions asked by your nominator.
- Ask. Create 5 questions for the blogs you will nominate.
- Spread the love. Choose (and link to) 5 up and coming blogs you enjoy. Inform them of their nomination.
So here it goes…
5 random facts about me:
- My first job (at the age of 12) was working in a concession stand at the ball fields. It was a fun summer!
- My second job, which lasted about three summers (I think) was manually detasseling corn. Worst.job.ever.
- During high school, I worked at McDonald’s (ick, I know) and our city newspaper. This is going to make me sound ancient, but that was before computers were entirely mainstream. At the newspaper, I used a wax machine to layout the news and ads on grid paper. I worked with a fun bunch of people who taught me a lot. McDonald’s wasn’t so fun. Once, my parents rode their tandem bike through the drive thru while I was working. I was mortified.
- During all four years of college, I worked as a server at five different restaurants. I used to have dreams (nightmares, really) about being “in the weeds”. Hard work, but good money for a college student. During that time, I also worked at a telephone book company, where I created ads for the yellow pages.
- Now I justify the luxury of working part-time from home by reminding myself of all the years of hard work I put in during my younger years. ;)
Questions from Sarah at Fried Dandelions:
- What is your favorite vegan dessert and why?
So far, it’s gotta be Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting because it tastes every bit as good (maybe even better) than the original.
- How long have you been a vegan?
Since February of 2012.
- What is your most trusted cookbook.
That’s an easy one. Let Them Eat Vegan! by Dreena Burton
- What is your favorite vegan comfort dish?
This vegan mac ‘n cheese is KILLER!
- What made you want to start blogging?
I was really sick of wasting my time and money on recipes, projects and products that SUCKED. I thought there should be a source for these things which passed the test of an unbiased person. Thus, the name 86 Lemons.
Questions for my 5 nominees:
- What has been your best source (book, website, video, conference, person, etc) for learning the ropes of blogging?
- In regards to travel, what is your favorite place you have visited?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- What is your favorite book and/or movie?
- If you could attend any bloggers conference, which one would it be?
My 5 nominees:
(Some of these blogs are more established than others. I have no idea how many followers they have. Maybe they’ve even been nominated before, who knows? I tried to pick ones that may be new to you. I enjoy them all!)