As you would expect, it is easy and uncomplicated. In my opinion, it needed a little more salt and maybe a little cayenne pepper for kick.
The lemon juice and chopped garlic noted as optional in the original recipe are a must. Otherwise, it’s a little bland. I used shallots instead of onion, added tomato and served it on whole wheat sandwich thins. Overall, this is a pretty tasty (and very healthy) sandwich!
Vegan Smashed White Bean and Avocado Sandwich (Gluten-free)
In a medium bowl, combine the following:
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed and drained*
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 small red onion (or 2 small shallots), chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped or minced
- juice from half of one lemon
Roughly mash the mixture with a potato masher.
I used one can of garbanzo beans and one can of great northern beans.
Prepare sandwich toppings:
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced (peeled, if desired)
- 1 4- to 5-ounce container sprouts (such as alfalfa, radish, broccoli, or a combination)
- 2 avocados, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced*
Use what you have on hand – cherry tomatoes can be quartered or halved if you’re making a wrap instead of a sandwich.
Layer bean mixture and sandwich toppings between 2 slices (8 total) of bread (or sandwich thins).*
I toasted my sandwich thins for extra sturdiness and texture. You can also use wraps instead of bread (as shown above).